JUSTICE BUILDING BLOG

WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL RICHARD E GERSTEIN JUSTICE BUILDING BLOG. THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO JUSTICE BUILDING RUMOR, HUMOR, AND A DISCUSSION ABOUT AND BETWEEN THE JUDGES, LAWYERS AND THE DEDICATED SUPPORT STAFF, CLERKS, COURT REPORTERS, AND CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS WHO LABOR IN THE WORLD OF MIAMI'S CRIMINAL JUSTICE. POST YOUR COMMENTS, OR SEND RUMPOLE A PRIVATE EMAIL AT HOWARDROARK21@GMAIL.COM. Winner of the prestigious Cushing Left Anterior Descending Artery Award.

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

WEDNESDAY UPDATE - JAILS INFECTED AND COIVD DIARY#5

Good Wednesday morning. In response to our earlier comment that we were not hearing about many people being diagnosed, we received the below comment. Also note that Ace Herald Reporter David "Covid-19" Ovalle wrote yesterday that not only have three Miami Correction Officers been diagnosed, but the three officers all worked in different jails. The three officers were asymptomatic and were tested under a program to test ALL first responders-police, firefighters and it seems corrections officers. This is significant in limiting the virus by identifying and isolating people who are positive with no symptoms. This is how South Korea flattened the curve.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Rump:

On your comment re anecdotal reports, I am experiencing the opposite. Yesterday I learned of the first two cases (5 cases actually, 3 in one household and 2 in another) in my personal circle. Both families started experiencing symptoms over the weekend. And both families saw the symptoms in their children first. The thinking is that the schools were silently circulating it the week before the closure and that the incubation period is now turning into the active symptoms phase.

Moreover, there seems to be stigma associated with telling people, which is why both households started experiencing symptoms over the weekend, but didn't tell friends and family until a couple of days later.

And spread among families with kids is frightening for grandparents. Both families mentioned above reported similar patterns of behavior. They both believed that they were practicing responsible social distancing by limiting gatherings to 10 people. But both families spent time with grandparents (people in this case in their 60s who are otherwise healthy and vibrant) after schools closed and before symptoms appeared. Those grandparents are now exposed and in the potential incubation period.

It seems to me that the SFL numbers are only heating up. Moreover, almost every physician I know, and I know enough of them, is reporting the same thing: the hospitals they work at are continuing to turn away patients that are likely COVID positive every day without testing when they believe the patients are relatively young and otherwise healthy. That does not speak well for reliable numbers or flattening the curve.

I hope you're right about the warm weather and the flattening of S.Fla's curve. But I am not seeing it in my circle of friends, family, and contacts.
Thank you for that comment. It is important. We all are looking at a large event through a small window.
Carl had a close call, but it looks like he will be fine. 

Covid Diary #5:

Rumpole, it was touch and go for a while. I had written to say I was getting worse and then I started having trouble breathing.  My fever kept spiking to 102. After a few panicked calls from my girlfriend I somehow managed to drive myself to the hospital. I would not expose anyone to the virus and let them drive me. That in and of itself was full of drama, trust me. My O2 sat numbers were low- low 70's and it was like there were straps on my chest and I could not catch my breath. In any other circumstance I would have been certain I was having a heart attack. 

I was admitted through the ER and placed on oxygen and albuterol aerosol treatments to help me breathe. One piece of good news. I was assured by the doctors and staff they had ventilators available if needed.  I was given IV antibiotics as well as some steroids and I had quick and positive reaction with 12 hours. My O2 levels increased to mid 80s and then mid 90s and I felt much better. I was in the hospital more than two days- about 60 hours.  My fever which had been as high as 102 returned to normal. I was discharged and returned home. The nurses were amazed I had driven myself to the ER based on how sick I was. I cannot explain it but somehow I just found the strength. When I had parked, it took me a long time to catch my breath and walk from the car to the ER. As soon as I was through the doors I was seen and placed in a wheel chair and immediately given O2. I cannot say I lost consciousness but I was close. 

The hospital is an amazing place. All of the health care workers are risking their own lives to treat people like me. And yet they did it with a smile on their face- albeit under their mask. The nurses are the true heroes. They made sure I was comfortable. They helped me walk to the bathroom and brought me soup and juice and hot tea when I asked for it. They sat with me when I had aerosol treatments and when I was panicked having trouble breathing and they talked me through it. They calmed me down and let me know I was going to be OK and to trust them. Maybe I wasn't in a life threatening situation, but I felt like I was and that they saved my life. God bless them. 

My doctor now says he believes the worst has passed. He said I should remain in isolation for two weeks past when all symptoms are gone but that I should be OK now. Today I took a small blanket and sat outside in the sun and listened to the radio and was just happy to be alive. My appetite has returned for soups and puddings. I cannot get enough of Jello chocolate pudding and chocolate-vanilla swirl. It goes great with coffee and a vanilla wafer cookie. I know people have been sending me good wishes and prayers and I greatly appreciate it. I think I'll send one more diary entry when I am feeling better and I hope this helped your readers. 
Carl


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two of the correction officers worked at the REG for 4 judges so anyone practicing in the last couple of weeks at the Courthouse could have been exposed. Fun times.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

@1:05 - chill out guy. I know you're nervous. But don't be a jerk. I'd hate to see how you're treating your kids. Breath.

Rumpole said...

OK everyone lets relax. Everyone is trying hard to be helpful. I removed the comment. Lets leave the nasty comments to moi and judges and be nice to each other.

Chen Chili said...

What happened to corona 1-18? We never heard of those.
Also why is it Novel? Did it write a fucking book or something?
Do you see these people on the causeways of Key Biscayne frolicking like it's 1999?
Also why close down parks? You are forcing more people into smaller spaces.

The virus doesn't cause diarrhea. YOU DON'T NEED 100 ROLLS OF TOILET PAPER

When are we opening impeachment proceedings for the State Attorney- or as she should be known "Kathy Business as Usual Rundle Fernandez Oreilly". Ditto Judge Bertie Keep those courts open Soto.

Note to everyone- CV19 doesn't reside on food. Order in as much you want. Munch out. Chow down.

Judge Cohn kept a trial going? IMPEACH IMPEACH IMPEACH

Sergios is open, bless them. Beefsteak Empanizado baby.

ARE WE GOING TO HAVE A BASEBALL SEASON? WHAT ABOUT HOCKEY AND NBA? Come on. Trump say's man up and forecheck the virus into the boards. Throw a brush back pitch to this virus. Move it off the plate and lets get going people.

Where is Sam SLom when we need him?

You lost money in the stock market capitalist pig? I ain't crying.

Communism doesn't work? Fact- US capitalistic health care system was running on efficiency models with as many beds available for daily average use considering emergencies like heart attacks, appendectomies. Thus when a crisis hit, the hospitals were already full. Same principle as to why almost all flights are full. Market efficiency. Now we need to flood a full health care system with a few million new patients and we won't be able to do it.

China has a government health care system. Efficiency not a requirement. When the virus struck the health care system had more capacity and was able to add more quickly. Less of a death rate in China than Italy and it will be same China versus Rumpole's beloved England.

Lesson: Communism works during a crisis.
Mao Baby- Mao.

Anonymous said...

So you removed my comment you unmitigated spineless wimp.
Ok, so how's this:
BREAKING NEWS: County shuts down over virus
BREAKING NEWS Italy devastated by virus. I have it on good authority and only I know that there are ALOT of people dying in Italy. So please sing my praises as I write this for you.
BREAKING NEWS Federal Court open or closed up to Judge. Exclusive to me only, Chief Judge Moore told me he is ordering federal court judges to decide if they want to keep court open or not. Stand By as Me- Mr Insider gives you exclusive news.
BREAKING NEWS Sad to report Tom Hanks AND HIS WIFE have the C virus. They called me and told me and asked my help in telling everyone.
BREAKING NEWS All restaurants in Dade Are closed. The Governor called me and asked me to tell everyone . But guess what? BREAKING NEWS you can order take out and all the restaurant owners called me and asked me- MR INSIDER to tell everyone that they can order take out.
BREAKING NEWS Stocks rallied for two days in a row. The Stock exchange called me and asked me to tell everyone not to panic.
BREAKING NEWS Gyms and bars closed.
BREAKING NEWS- Dade County schools ordered closed. The mayor called me and asked me to tell everyone not to send their kids to school.
BREAKING NEWS Mr. INSIDER REPORTS that all the airlines have called me to tell everyone that they are open but flights are restricted.
BREAKING NEWS the owners of all the cruise lines called ME MR IMPORTANT INSIDER TO TELL EVERYONE that all cruises are suspended but that they will be back with better cleanliness.
BREAKING NEWS The CEO of Starbucks called me to ask me to tell everyone that Starbucks in China is opening up.
BREAKING NEWS British Prime Minister called me and asked me to tell everyone in England to self isolate.
BREAKING NEWS The queen of England called me to ask me to tell everyone that her son Prince Charles has tested positive but that he is resting comfortably.

Is this what you want Rumpole because I can do it all day long like you know who or is it you know whom?