JUSTICE BUILDING BLOG

WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL RICHARD E GERSTEIN JUSTICE BUILDING BLOG. THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO JUSTICE BUILDING RUMOR, HUMOR, AND A DISCUSSION ABOUT AND BETWEEN THE JUDGES, LAWYERS AND THE DEDICATED SUPPORT STAFF, CLERKS, COURT REPORTERS, AND CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS WHO LABOR IN THE WORLD OF MIAMI'S CRIMINAL JUSTICE. POST YOUR COMMENTS, OR SEND RUMPOLE A PRIVATE EMAIL AT HOWARDROARK21@GMAIL.COM. Winner of the prestigious Cushing Left Anterior Descending Artery Award.

Thursday, December 05, 2013

THE YEAR OF ELAN

The answers (plural) to our trivia question in the last post was that the last two federal judges to start their judicial career as a county court judge were Federico Moreno, who we believe was the first in the southern district of Florida to make the trek from county court, to circuit court, to federal court, and the second was Cecilia Altonaga. The nominations of Judges Bloom and Gayles would, if confirmed, double the number to four.

The Reason Why Twitter is great:
Elan Gale was on a flight Thanksgiving day.  His flight was delayed. A woman on the flight was complaining. Elan live tweeted the fun and his account blew up:

elan gale @theyearofelan 28 Nov
Our flight is delayed. A woman on here is very upset because she has Thanksgiving plans. She is the only one obviously. Praying for her
 
elan gale @theyearofelan 28 Nov
She's telling the flight attendants that it is Thanksgiving. She wants them to know she wants to have dinner with her family
 
elan gale @theyearofelan 28 Nov
The male flight attendant said "I understand ma'am. I'm looking forward to seeing my family too." She responded "This isn't about you"
 
elan gale @theyearofelan 28 Nov
Her family is very important to her, she says. Her family has a special recipe for stuffing. She needs to be there to help. It is crucial
 
elan gale @theyearofelan 28 Nov
She has a connecting flight. Why doesn't anyone understand she has a connecting flight? Why do people not understand her needs?
 
elan gale @theyearofelan 28 Nov
"Today is Thanksgiving! I'm supposed to be with my family. NOT with you people I barely know!"
 
elan gale @theyearofelan 28 Nov
She had to sit down because we took off. She has been muttering "about DAMN time" and I can hear her breathing from 5 rows back
 
elan gale @theyearofelan 28 Nov
I sent the lady a glass of wine and a note
elan gale @theyearofelan 28 Nov
She's pushing her call button a lot
 
elan gale @theyearofelan 28 Nov
The male flight attendant is giving me the "let's just pretend this never happened" face. Shaking his head a lot
 
elan gale @theyearofelan 28 Nov
He gave me two little bottles of vodka but he won't hand them to her. He says I have to do it myself
 
elan gale @theyearofelan 28 Nov
I'm going to do it
elan gale @theyearofelan 28 Nov
Oh my God I did it I walked as if I was going to the bathroom and I leaned over and put them on her tray table and walked away Oh my God
 
elan gale @theyearofelan 28 Nov
I'm not going to lie I am shaking this is so terrifying she is so angry at me it's kind of incredible
 
elan gale @theyearofelan 28 Nov
I don't really know what to do now I'm afraid to get out of my seat. This is like being on a roller coaster I'm scared and super excited
 
elan gale @theyearofelan 28 Nov
The male flight attendant just handed me a note from 7A
 
elan gale @theyearofelan 28 Nov
 
elan gale @theyearofelan 28 Nov
This means war
 
The twitter account continues until it ends with, not surprisingly the woman slapping Elan at the gate of the airport once they landed.
 
elan gale @theyearofelan 28 Nov
She walked right up to me and slapped me immediately in the face
 
 

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

fan-fucking-tastic

Anonymous said...

Fascinating. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

CAPTAIN JUSTICE said...



THE CAPTAIN REPORTS:

Dissing Joan ..... Rump. Your answer in incorrect.

Judge Joan Lenard was a County Court Judge from 1982-1993.

She was a Circuit Court Judge from 1993-1995.

She was nominated by Pres. Clinton in 95 to the Federal bench.

Lenard was on the County Court before Moreno, but Moreno made it to the Federal bench five years earlier when he was nominated by GHW Bush in 1990.

Moreno served on the County Court from 86-87, then the Circuit Court from 87-90.

So the correct answer as to the last two federal judges to start their judicial career as a county court judge is:

Lenard
Altonaga

Feel free to amend your post with the correct answer.

Cap Out .....
Captain4justice@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

What about Dan Hurley, who began his judicial career as a County Court judge (1975-77) and was commissioned as a US District Judge in 1994. Even he makes this list before Fed.

Anonymous said...

She was Joan Stember before she married Howard Lenard.

Anonymous said...

The story was definitely riveting, though
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/elan-gale-made-epic-note-war-thanksgiving-flight/story?id=21099585

CAPTAIN JUSTICE said...


For those of you that are reading the Élan Twitter rant. Please note that none of that happened in real life. Well, to be accurate, all of the Tweets took place, but the entire story abut "Diane, the rude passenger in seat 7-A" was all made up. It appears Élan has a sense of humor and enjoys tweeting that humor. It also appears that it was a slow news day and that once this went viral, every news station in the country was reporting the story about Élan and Diane as if it really happened.

Diane's character, like the story that starts with a whisper to the first in line into their ear and ends completely differently by the time it is whispered into the fifth ear, ended up with cancer.

Yes, Diane, was fake, and so was the story, but once anything ends up on the Internet, look out. So, not only were Elans tweets, sexist rude and obnoxious, but he was also attacking someone with cancer.

The whole thing was unreal. Exactly.

Cap Out .....

Anonymous said...

Cap

You talk too much

You never shut up

You talk about people you don't even know

And you talk about places you never go

CAPTAIN JUSTICE said...



to 1:53 PM:

Bad day today? You want the truth. You can't handle the truth. What I post is the facts, just the facts.

Don't like what I post. Skip it. Ignore it. Move on.

And let me tell you something else, 1:53PM:

I appeared before Joan Lenard. I know Joan Lenard. Joan Lenard is a friend of mine. And 1:53PM, you're no Joan Lenard.!!!

Cap Out ....

Anonymous said...

Run DMC ! Love it !

Ban The Captain said...

OMG I cannot take it.
I am the Captain. I wish I started this blog but I wasn't creative enough.
Look at me!
Look at me!
I'm smart,
I can handle things
not like everybody says.
I'm not Fredo.
I'm the Captain and I want people to talk about me not Rumpole.

www.banthecaptain.com
visit the website
sign the petition
save the blog

canes fan said...


Rumpole have you ever seen a press conference like that in your life from an elected State Attorney?

Willie Meggs was laughing throughout the press conference and making jokes half the time.

How do you think rape victims are looking at this display?

I understand that the man made a decision based upon the facts, but he could have presented himself in a more class way.

Now all of you FSU fans can breath easier.

Noles fan said...


nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah. Go Noles.

Sixty minutes away from booking my flight to Pasedena. What bowl are you going to Cnaes fan? Chik-fil-a? That's just too funny.

Enjoy the Famous Jameis show.

fake DS said...

Cap
I knew Joan Lenard when she was an Asst. City Atty in NMB. That was before she was on the Bench. She is a Nice lady.
Don't let the neigh-sayers get you down,
they are just blowing in the wind

CanesFAN said...

LMAO FSU has what? 2 titles? LOLLLLL how much longer have you guys been playing division 1 football than Miami?

Go OSU! Or Auburn!

Anonymous said...

I don't find neither Elan nor the lawyer-secretary text messages funny. Rumpole, you need to get a comedian to contribute as a guest blogger.