JUSTICE BUILDING BLOG

WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL RICHARD E GERSTEIN JUSTICE BUILDING BLOG. THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO JUSTICE BUILDING RUMOR, HUMOR, AND A DISCUSSION ABOUT AND BETWEEN THE JUDGES, LAWYERS AND THE DEDICATED SUPPORT STAFF, CLERKS, COURT REPORTERS, AND CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS WHO LABOR IN THE WORLD OF MIAMI'S CRIMINAL JUSTICE. POST YOUR COMMENTS, OR SEND RUMPOLE A PRIVATE EMAIL AT HOWARDROARK21@GMAIL.COM. Winner of the prestigious Cushing Left Anterior Descending Artery Award.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

PENALTY ON REIFF? VIDEO REVIEW

Anonymous responds to Bobby Reiff:

HIGH STICKING ON RIEFF GO TO THE BOX FOR TWO MINUTESI would like to respond to some of your points. Sorry but I would like to remain anonymous as I am the one taking the politically unpopular stand on this one.

First you attack me for a number of points that I didnt make in my post. I know this tactic works quite well when you litigate against the increasingly inept ASA's who staff County Court but I am not one of them.

1. Please make no mistake I am not saying that you gave money to Judge Pando. I dont even think a fair reading of what I wrote could even imply that. I simply wrote that it was my understanding that she was removed not for angering a dimunutive prosecutor but for some remarks she made on the bench. I said that this was what I heard and was far from expressing certainty. If Judge Pando was removed for granting too many motions to supress and anyone can prove that to me, I will accept that.

2. I Followed that up with my belief that no Judge would get removed from county court for being too pro-defense. I have been practicing in this town for many years and there have been many a Judge who wasnt afraid to grant a motion and many of them were later elevated to Circuit Court. Judges Schumacher and Pinero are excellent Judges and both would grant motions to suppress when they felt it was warranted when they were in County.

3. I then stated a thought which most with any intellectual honesty will admit. Now admittedly that group excludes you Bobby, but most people who were once Public Defenders will agree with the proposition that when thier clients who are roofers or landscapers go to trial, Judges often got thier brownie points and MADD awards by tacking on 30 days of jail to thier 1st DUI minimums. Most Pd's would also say that When members of the private bar took cases to trial thier clients would usually get extra community service hours tacked on to thier first minimums.

Mr Stein drop the danish and back me up on this one. Or what about you Bobby Aaron stop collecting campaign checks and back me up on this one. It is one of those dirty little secrets that no one likes to admit. I know Bobby it only helps your great stature among the Judges to defend thier honor and cling to the lie that no judge would treat your clients differently, but when you do this you sound alot like Bush when he says we dont torture. I am also not saying that your 500 bounty buys you no jail for your clients. As one former Judge once said "500 wont buy you a dismissal but It may get you a continuance down the line". Do you dispute that those words were said? Do you dispute that there isn't some kernel of truth in that departed Judges words?

5. You should actually take it as a compliment when I mentioned you about not losing a trial. It was meant as a compliment and I in no way meant to compare you to the man who does in fact make the claim that he has never lost a case or had a client plead guilty. The man who used to sign paychecks for you before you became the uber DUI lawyer.

6. I cant believe that you can actually play ice hockey and be as thin skinned as you are

Rumpole weighs in:
1) We love the fact we started a trend: now everyone wants Mr. Stein to drop his danish and do some work.
2) We do not feel the need to defend Mr. Reiff so we will not comment on the content of this post. We do note that Mr. Reiff has signed his name and that counts for a lot. It is easy to hide behind the curtain of anonymity (we should know as we are safely hidden there).

See You In Court

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having played on ice hockey teams with bobby I must confirm the rumor that Mr reiff spends a good amount of time in the penalty box . Cross check him and expect the same back. It's bad policy on the ice to let opponents get away with dirty play and do nothing, it only emboldens them.bobby won't put up with it there,why should he here.
I have won a lot of trials , and I have lost a lot of trials, It is what tends to happen when one tries a lot of cases . Some of the best fights I've ever had were un -winnable at the time I laced up the gloves but you fight them anyway ,cause its in your blood, and sometimes.... things fall into place just right and with a little luck and guts, guess what you just won . nothing tastes better than that.
sometimes clients go to jail. some times they should. I just want a Judge with guts enough do do what He/She believes is right, not what is pollitically safe.
I contribute to the campaigns of judges not because I expect anything, But I fear that good judges will lose an election to some "name" on the ballot who has never been in a courtroom, much less a trial I try to help judges I feel have the stuff to make hard decisions.
pardon my spelling and grammer I went to public school.
Jason Grey

Anonymous said...

At Least Spell The Name Right … [Hopefully] The Last Word On The Subject.

Dear Anonymous:

I would prefer not to “litigate” this in public, but your refusal to sign your name leaves me no choice, so I’ll address this for the last time.

I took offense to your anonymous post on December 6, 2005 wherein you wrote “Geez you guys Write five hundred dollar checks to these folks [such as Judge Pando, who you were castigating] and they treat you like royalty. When I was a young ASA I recall that whenever a Bobby Reiff Or Mike Catalano went to trial and lost ( I know I know they claim that they have never lost but they have) the Fine Jurists of County Court would rarely if ever punish thier clients for excescising thier right to trial.” (spelling and grammatical mistakes in original).

Now you write that I “should actually take it as a compliment when I mentioned you about not losing a trial. It was meant as a compliment and I in no way meant to compare you to the man who does in fact make the claim that he has never lost a case or had a client plead guilty.”

If that original post was a compliment, I must have missed it.

You write that you “cant believe that you can actually play ice hockey and be as thin skinned as you are.” (spelling mistakes, etc. in original).

Sorry, but when you play hockey, if you get knocked down by a clean hit, you get up and skate back into the play. When someone hits you with a cheap shot, then the gloves come off.

By the way, at least spell the name right; it’s REIFF, not Rieff. I don’t go around spelling your name Anonymoose.

Bobby Reiff

Anonymous said...

Mr. Reiff I take your choosing not to argue with many of my main points as your admission that there is some truth In what I write about the disparate treatment between those who can afford the likes of you and those who are represented by the Public Defender.
You really should take what I wrote as a compliment even if it was a backhanded compliment. If I wrote the same words and Instead of using your name I put in the name of some hack( I was going to insert a name but why?) who never goes to trial my point would not have been made.

anonymoose