Yesterday it was all about names. Today the subject is dress (and dresses):
The Other day we made an offhand remark about cross dressing lawyers, and lo and behold, we see this news article:
WELLINGTON (Reuters) - A male lawyer who appeared in a New Zealand court dressed in an ankle-length skirt, lace stockings and a diamond brooch said Tuesday he was protesting against a male bias in the country's justice system.
Rob Moodie, a former New Zealand Police union secretary, stunned the courtroom Monday when he appeared in women's clothing at a hearing related to a long-running case involving the death of a man in a bridge collapse on a North Island farm.
Moodie said he wore the two-piece women's suit because of what he described as a boys' network in the court room.
"I'm objecting to the male ethos that is dominating this case and from now on I'm going to be dressing as a girl in my daily life," Moodie told Reuters.
"It wouldn't have happened if I hadn't seen the gung-ho attitude in this case.
The more this goes on and the deeper the cover-up gets, the frocks will get prettier," he said.
Rumpole notes that there is a Miami related joke just waiting to burst forward from this story, but we apparently have writers block and nothing is coming to us.
A reader posted this top ten list:
top ten reasons you should be a Judicial Assistant in Miami Dade County Court:
10. you can start a perfume company outta the chambers of the court.
9. prohibit litigants you dont like because of race from getting a hearing on there motions.
8. start politacal campaign consulting firm right from the office chambers.
7. free office space for your campaign activities.
6. able to visit other judges chambers to extort them to hire you as campaign advisor.
5. free health care
4. free use of the computer to email judges and demand they hire you or else face opposition from hispanic lawyer with no qualifications.
3. can pretend you are the judge and jury.
2. use the office of the judge for profit and personal gain.
AND THE NUMBER ONE REASON TO BECOME A JA IN DADE COUNTY COURT.
1. when you f- up your BOSS the Judge will never fire you even if his office is raided under a criminal subpoena and his computer is seized. The Judge will back you no matter what happens.
And another reader posted this take on an old Bob Newhart bit:
Overheard on the phone at a local campaign headquarters:
“Judge Ivan Hernandez reelection headquarters, can I help you ?
"Uh…No Mr. D’Arce is unavailable at the moment.
"Yes…Yes he does help out campaigns for money.
"Why no, I do not think he would accept money to dress up as a clown and come to your child’s birthday party this weekend.
"Oh..you don’t need him to change clothes? He can just comes as he is.
I see. Yes, I see…well I’ll give him the message but I am pretty sure he won’t do it.
"$200.00 ??? "Hold on, let me get a pen. What is your address and when does he need to be there?”
Who says we don't have talented and funny readers?
See You In Court struggling with writers block.