Good Monday morning. Today is: Martin Luther King Day and the second day of the second term of the 44th President of the United States. Today is also the 1463rd day of the Obama presidency.
Poet Richard Blanco is Miami's connection to the inaugural. He will be reading his poetry at the inaugural today, becoming (in no significant order) the first Hispanic to be the inaugural poet, the youngest inaugural poet, the first (openly) gay inaugural poet, and the first poet from Florida.
Since court is closed, here's a little presidential trivia to keep you busy:
Lincoln's second inaugural address was 701 words. He used the word "I" once.
1) This president was the first to: make a phone call, drive a car, and he had six Chiefs of Indian nations at his inaugural parade, including Chief Geronimo. Teddy Roosevelt.
2) This presidential candidate was the last to get a cabinet position in the next administration. Adlai Stevenson.
3) This president was the last to have a pony on the white house grounds. JFK- Caroline had a pony.
4) This vice president was the first to become president through the death of a president. John Tyler. Harrison died a month after his inaugural.
5) This president served the shortest term of any president. Harrison.
6) What is Harry Truman's FULL middle name? Just "S", the explanation for which varies.
7) Which two presidents died on the 4th of July? Jefferson and Adams.
8) Which president is credited with first using the term "O.K."? Martin Van Buren.
9) Who was the first president to live in the White House? John Adams.
10) Who was the first president to receive votes from women? Warren Harding in 1920. Although since he was on the losing ticket as VP, Franklin Roosevelt would have been an acceptable choice as well.
11) What president was the first to receive the oath of office from a former president? Taft first swore in Calvin Coolidge in 1925 before swearing in Herbert Hoover in 1929.
Upcoming in the REGJB this week: Closing arguments Tuesday before Judge Tinkler-Mendez in the case involving the disappearance of Rilya Wilson.
The 2013 Super Bowl is Ravens vs. 49'ers. Vegas has San Fran as 4 1/2 favourites. Take the Ravens and the points. Actually, the Ravens will win so take the Ravens and the money line. And as always, 100% guaranteed, we will tell you whether the coin toss will be heads or tails.
Enjoy the day off. See you in court next week.
We will be traveling quite a bit overseas in the next few months, if you want to be a guest blogger, shoot us an email.