SATURDAY UPDATE: The Jury failed to reach a decision in the murder count and a mistrial was declared. The defendant was convicted of kidnapping, aggravated child abuse, and child abuse as a lesser for another count of aggravated child abuse.
SHADES OF KATHY WILLETS: The Sun Sentinel reports that a Boca Raton police officer's wife was arrested for running a prostitution ring. The big tip off to the officers investigating the case? Denise McCoy listing her employment at "Sara's Entertainment Escort Service." After some real brainstorming, the cops got suspicious. Nothing gets past those guys.
Trivia answers below: except for the ones for which there has not been a correct answer. For those, the search continues.
Rilya WIlson jury deadlocked 11-1 on murder count. Has reached verdicts on kidnapping and agg child abuse. Deliberations resume Friday. H/T David Ovalle/Miami Herald.
We have a guest blogger! Sort of. The blogger put together a trivia quiz but didn't want to go through the misagosh of becoming a guest blogger so he/she emailed them to us and we have posted it. Answers Friday night/Saturday morning. Best part is you can't google the answers.
1) This failed judicial candidate has the same name as a lighthouse and ran against Judge Dresnick and lost. Marcus Ambrose.
2) This former county and retired circuit court judge was the public defender in a US protectorate. Name the Judge and the island where he served. The great Arthur Rothenberg- Yap.
3) This late judge has a tennis court named after him. Arthur Snyder.
4) This failed judicial candidate's mother was a clerk. Lenny Cooperman, whose mom was a great clerk. Last we heard, Mr. Cooperman was ensconced in Maine, successfully working as a Federal ALJ. All's well that ends well.
5) This judge issued a misdemeanor bench warrant for a Miami Dolphin and then wrote on the warrant "Do not arrest on Sunday". Fred Moreno, way back when he was a county court judge.
6) What courtroom was the televised bond hearings original set in? 2-4
7) This late judge was a former paratrooper and started his calendar every day with the pledge of allegiance. Henry Oppenborn. A great american.
8) This former Judge famously waved a gun in court at a defendant and asked him how it felt to have a gun pointed at him? Name the Judge and the Judge he beat in an election. Henry Ferro. Not.
9) Who presided over the Ted Bundy trial? The best of the best- Ed Cowart.
10) This current member of the US House of Representatives was impeached from his prior office. Alcee Hastings.
11) Name the only member of the current 3rd DCA promoted directly from County Court. Rick Suarez.
12) Who did Jim Best run against for Judge? Ivan Hernandez was the winner. Judge Reginald Richardson, who had been arrested while on the bench came in second. Extra Credit- who successfully defended Judge Richardson at trial?
13) This former chief judge became chief judge his second appointment to the bench, having voluntarily resigned from the bench the first time around. Joe Farina.
14) This circuit court judge resigned from the bench in scandal twice. In between he was appointed to the county court. Al Sepe.
Extra Credit: Who swore in Janet Reno for her last term as State Attorney? No one has come close on this one.
WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL RICHARD E GERSTEIN JUSTICE BUILDING BLOG. THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO JUSTICE BUILDING RUMOR, HUMOR, AND A DISCUSSION ABOUT AND BETWEEN THE JUDGES, LAWYERS AND THE DEDICATED SUPPORT STAFF, CLERKS, COURT REPORTERS, AND CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS WHO LABOR IN THE WORLD OF MIAMI'S CRIMINAL JUSTICE. THIS BLOG HAS BEEN CALLED "THE DEFINITIVE BLOG ON MIAMI CRIMINAL LAW" BY THE NY TIMES, THE WASHINGTON POST, THE POPE, AND DONALD TRUMP WHO ALSO ONCE SAID IT WAS "REALLY GREAT". POST YOUR COMMENTS, OR SEND RUMPOLE A PRIVATE EMAIL AT HOWARDROARK21@GMAIL.COM