In the past year we have gained a lot of new readers. And lost some old ones.
Maybe it’s time to review the rules.
1) Mission statement: To provide an outlet for lawyers, Judges, and others who work in the REGJB by creating a place to post comments about our little world. Light hearted rumor, innuendo, and humor are welcome. So is a serious discussion of the issues of the day.
2) You cannot post anything about someone’s personal life. From seeing a judge’s children at a school, to seeing a prosecutor and pd in a bar, the personal stays off the blog.
3) You cannot make fun of a person’s appearance, or the appearance of a loved one of theirs.
4) Don’t be mean. If you don’t like someone, this is not the place for it. If a lawyer blew a closing argument, this is the place for it. If a judge ruled against you, you cannot call him/her an ass. If you get them reversed on appeal, this is the place you can gloat. You can raise the legal issue and have a discussion about it here.
5) Yes, there will be serious moments. When someone we know is arrested, it hurts all of us. But this is not the place to gloat or revel in someone’s pain and misfortune.
6) This blog has soared. Read the posts about the late Judges Crespo, Leyte-Vidal, and others who have passed away. Read the repartee and remembrances between Abe Laeser and Roy Black. Those posts and comments were the best we can be. When I grumble about the new plea colloquy, this is the place for Judge Emas to put me in my place for not reading the new amendments to the Rules Of Procedure (which I am sure he does every Sunday over Coffee).
Very simply, those of you who are so full of anger and rage and jealousy need to get another outlet. I cannot and will not let you turn this blog into a place for you to trash people while you sit, alone in some darkened room eating a bag of Doritos and a half gallon of Hagen Dazs on a Saturday night, writing all sorts of vile things against us (the lawyers and Judges who work in the REGJB). If necessary, I will turn on moderation, and review all comments when I have a chance. Quite frankly, as I have written dozens of times, this blog is for my own selfish enjoyment. I could care less if you (whomever you are) are upset that you cannot spontaneously attack someone.
This blog can, has, and will continue to be a place to discuss things like Judicial demeanor, the efficacy of the death penalty, and the Mushroom bisque at Au Bon Pain (not bad at all).
It will not be a place to call people vile names.
So stop it.
I mean it.
His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama’s Third Verse for the Training the Mind:
May I examine my mind in all actions and as soon as a negative state occurs, since it endangers myself and others, may I firmly face and avert it.
(Rumpole is a Buddhist????)
PS. We Called both championship games, but didn't need the teaser. Early favourite has to be the Colts. Will someone please put a wooden stake in Belichick? Otherwise he will rise with the un-dead to walk the South Florida nights and torment us all.
By the way....Tom Terrific threw an interception on the game winning drive last week....and Tom terrific threw an interception on the game winning drive this week. Hmmm...don't really want him QB'ing the team when the chips are on the line.
WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL RICHARD E GERSTEIN JUSTICE BUILDING BLOG. THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO JUSTICE BUILDING RUMOR, HUMOR, AND A DISCUSSION ABOUT AND BETWEEN THE JUDGES, LAWYERS AND THE DEDICATED SUPPORT STAFF, CLERKS, COURT REPORTERS, AND CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS WHO LABOR IN THE WORLD OF MIAMI'S CRIMINAL JUSTICE. THIS BLOG HAS BEEN CALLED "THE DEFINITIVE BLOG ON MIAMI CRIMINAL LAW" BY THE NY TIMES, THE WASHINGTON POST, THE POPE, AND DONALD TRUMP WHO ALSO ONCE SAID IT WAS "REALLY GREAT". POST YOUR COMMENTS, OR SEND RUMPOLE A PRIVATE EMAIL AT HOWARDROARK21@GMAIL.COM