JUSTICE BUILDING BLOG

WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL RICHARD E GERSTEIN JUSTICE BUILDING BLOG. THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO JUSTICE BUILDING RUMOR, HUMOR, AND A DISCUSSION ABOUT AND BETWEEN THE JUDGES, LAWYERS AND THE DEDICATED SUPPORT STAFF, CLERKS, COURT REPORTERS, AND CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS WHO LABOR IN THE WORLD OF MIAMI'S CRIMINAL JUSTICE. POST YOUR COMMENTS, OR SEND RUMPOLE A PRIVATE EMAIL AT HOWARDROARK21@GMAIL.COM. Winner of the prestigious Cushing Left Anterior Descending Artery Award.

Saturday, January 21, 2023

NFL PLAYOFFS 2022 SEASON DIVISIONAL ROUND

 We have four good games on tap this weekend. Two Saturday and two Sunday and we have your winners here. 

First up Saturday is America's Team- the Jacksonville Jaguars playing in KC against the Chiefs. KC Coach Andy Reid is something like 100-1 coming off a bye week. KC is favored by 9 and that's a lot against a Jaguar team that came back from a 27-0 deficit last week to eke out a win, although when the Jags played the Chiefs earlier this year KC won by 10. The likelihood of that happening again is the same as something like a federal judge sanctioning the former president a million bucks for filing frivolous lawsuits. Could happen- not likely.  

Of course we love the undercat, and the Jags are tempting, but the theme in the divisional round is that the clock is striking 12 and it's time for Cinderella to go home.  We will take the 9 and the Jags. but that is not our formal pick. That is just a bet we make so we can root for a team while swilling a Cab-Franc. We are advising to pick the over 52. It's more likely KC goes up 35-10 and wins 42-21 then the Jags keeping it close. 

Next up Saturday night are the New York Football Giants at Philly and the Fly Eagle Fly Eagles. The Giants surprised us last week, but the chatter on sports talk radio this week about the Giants having a chance is way way out of control. Philly dominated the league this year. Absent a serious injury to their QB they are going to the Super Bowl. The Giants played well, but again, the clock is striking 12 and it's time for Cinderella to go home. Philly -7.5 assuming Hurts isn't hurt.  Because we listen to our readers and have heard the colors can sometimes be hard to read, we repeat- Philly -7.5 assuming Hurts isn't hurt. If there is any question about Hurts, then the Giants are +300 and we like risking a hundrery to win three grand. It certainly gives us something to root for as we watch the game from our favourite weekend watering hole.  By tonight we will be sipping a nice Reisling for dessert. 

The Sunday early game is the best game of the weekend. Cincy at Buffalo in a repeat of the game that was canceled a few weeks ago. Buffalo is favoured by five at home. Too much. The Bills should win this game 34-31. Cincy will keep it close and really the game is even in our opinion, so you have to take the value and the points. Cincy surprised everyone last year and won on the road at KC and went to the super bowl. So do not be surprised if they win on Sunday. Buffalo is 8-8-1 against the spread this year. We will take that coin flip and Cincy +5 and over 48 which is a very low number considering the firepower both teams bring to this game. 

And now here is your "upset" for the weekend. The Cowboys are 3.5 point dogs on the road in San Fran. The San Fran QB is a third string rookie drafted as the very last player in the draft. He's been good, but he's a rookie. Dallas has a defense better than anything Purdy and the 49'ers have seen. Dallas has Dak and he knows how to win (and lose) playoff games.  It will be a Dallas/Philly NFC championship game next week. But for today take those cowpokes and 3.5 and over 46.  The most compelling drama this weekend? Whether the Dallas kicker can make an extra point after missing FOUR last week. 



9 comments:

Mr Frugal said...

Rump- thirty eight year state employee. Since year one I invested ten percent of my salary every month in stocks. Starting in the late 1990s I started acquiring Apple. When my parents passed on, I invested what they left me in Apple and I paid off the mortgage on their home in Westchester and rented it out and invested all those profits in Apple. Currently I have 1.65 million shares of Apple and I have lost about 30% of its value since about 18 months ago from its all time high and I cannot sleep at night over that.
I own a two-bedroom condo in Doral free and clear that I bought for 210,000 and is worth about 400k. I live a frugal life, my car is a 2011 Ford Explorer. I have no credit card debt and I am in the drop program with the State.
My question is should I be diversifying my Apple and other stock holdings and if so where? I am in moderately good health and I think I can work to age 70. On weekends, to make a little extra money I work in my Tio's Dry Cleaning store. I get 22 bucks an hour and do three hours Friday night after work and close up at 9 and then open at 8 am for him and work until 2. Every bit of money I get helps. I use that money for maintenance on my parents' home and my condo so I can stay out of debt on the houses.

I am a little worried about the market fluctuations. I have about 43,000 shares each in two SP 500 index funds and about 2200 shares of Tesla that I bought as a flyer and have taken a beating on. I manage all my stocks in my own Schwab account to avoid excessive broker fees. I take one week vacation away-usually either on an inside cabin for a Carnival Cruise, or five days at Disney and Universal and try and keep as much vacation time on the books as I am allowed. When I get a use it or lose it notice, I just stay home and sleep late and take long walks with my Beagle Monty.

I read your blog every day and value your opinion. Please give me some advice. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

For readers younger than 80, the label New York "Football" Giants refers to a time prior to 1958 when the SF Giants were also the NY Giants. Thus the "football" insertion in the middle was so fans in subways and bars as well as sportscasters and writers could distinguish between the two. This phenomenon repeated itself in St. Louis where the Cardinals were both and MLB and NFL team. The Cardinals left town in 1987 for Arizona. And the answer to an oft cited trivia question is 1960. That is when the Chicago Cardinals left town for St. Louis to share the name with the baseball Cardinals.

Anonymous said...

@10:25am . . . you day drinking, bro?

Anonymous said...

C'mon man, +300 does not mean $100 nets you 3k. It means $100 nets you $300. Geez.

Anonymous said...

Rump, I'm even more frugal.

I also have 1.6 million shares of Apple (currently worth 225 million dollars). I'm renting an efficiency in Hialeah. But the landlord is raising my rent 20 bucks a month. Do I renew or perhaps i should just live in my 1986 toyota corolla?

Anonymous said...

I can’t believe you got the Bengals Bills game right. My Tio is a bookie in a bar on 8th street and he was sure the Bills would win and cover. You’re so smart and street savvy Rumpole I have to admit it turns me on a bit.

New sexy PD

Anonymous said...

Rumpole liked ether @ 3800.

Anonymous said...

Sexy PD. Rumpy went 2-4 in his picks this weekend. Let’s hope he helps me win my money back next Sunday. Come on Rump you can do it.

Anonymous said...

Sexy PD, yeah right! If you're so sexy you wouldn't need to advertise it. Just know I am Rumpy's #1 fan. So take your fake sexiness elsewhere.

Sincerely,
Rumpy's #1 Fan