JUSTICE BUILDING BLOG

WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL RICHARD E GERSTEIN JUSTICE BUILDING BLOG. THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO JUSTICE BUILDING RUMOR, HUMOR, AND A DISCUSSION ABOUT AND BETWEEN THE JUDGES, LAWYERS AND THE DEDICATED SUPPORT STAFF, CLERKS, COURT REPORTERS, AND CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS WHO LABOR IN THE WORLD OF MIAMI'S CRIMINAL JUSTICE. POST YOUR COMMENTS, OR SEND RUMPOLE A PRIVATE EMAIL AT HOWARDROARK21@GMAIL.COM. Winner of the prestigious Cushing Left Anterior Descending Artery Award.

Sunday, April 20, 2014

HURRICANE CARTER HAS DIED

Rubin Hurricane Carter, a boxer from Patterson, New Jersey who almost became the middle weight champion of the world, has died in Toronto at age 76. Carter spent 20 years in prison, framed for a triple murder in bar. He was twice tried an twice convicted and twice had the convictions overturned for prosecutorial misconduct. 

Bob Dylan's great song tells you almost all you need to know. 





Denzel Washington played Carter in the movie. There is a scene (which we could not find on You Tube) where the police pull Carter and his friend over and say there has been a murder and they were looking for two black men. And Carter responds something like "and any two black men will do?

Just another story of the "greatest" justice system in the world destroying lives.  Any surprise that as soon as Carter was released from prison he immediately moved out of the United States? 

See you in court tomorrow. Oh yeah: Happy Easter. 





9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This ain't no game we're playing people. Wanna see how cops and prosecutors can ruin people's lives? Look at Hurricane Carter.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this Rump. I remember reading the book the "16 Round" in high school approximately 40 years ago. Stories like this and others posted on this blog sometimes make you embarrassed to be part of the criminal justice system.

The disgraceful part is the prosecutors who pulled this crap rarely pay for it. Remember the Broward Judge Carney?

Anonymous said...

Best movie to watch and rewatch to get really psyched for a tough trial. I got an across the board Not Guilty on a 9 count home invasion and grand theft auto case. Client was found with the stolen car and some stolen jewerly in his pocket within an hour of the crime. Paraphrased a lot of quotes from Carter's speech in the movie. BTW: My client WAS innocent and facing life. Plea offer was 30 years.

Anonymous said...

RIP Hurricane.

Anonymous said...

Before trials I watch "Hoosiers". To be fair, sometimes I even watch it on my phone DURING trial.

I'll never forget the first time Training Attorney Robert Coppell walked us into a felony court room and with a measuring tape methodically measured the distance from the bench to the defense table, to the jury box, etc. "I think you'll find it's the exact same measurements as back in County Court."

Rumpole said...

If Coppell really did that- I love it!!!

Anonymous said...

I am the one who told Coppell to do that.

- Fake Tannebaum.

Fake Mike Grieco said...

I'm available for comment on the Hurricane Carter death.

DJ Esquire

Anonymous said...

Its such a beautiful day. We still calling the Shumie on this blog? I think I'm heading to my condo and taking the new contender I have docked out back for a spin. Rump won't let me describe who I am spinning with any more. Just one word: Pilates.