JUSTICE BUILDING BLOG

WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL RICHARD E GERSTEIN JUSTICE BUILDING BLOG. THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO JUSTICE BUILDING RUMOR, HUMOR, AND A DISCUSSION ABOUT AND BETWEEN THE JUDGES, LAWYERS AND THE DEDICATED SUPPORT STAFF, CLERKS, COURT REPORTERS, AND CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS WHO LABOR IN THE WORLD OF MIAMI'S CRIMINAL JUSTICE. POST YOUR COMMENTS, OR SEND RUMPOLE A PRIVATE EMAIL AT HOWARDROARK21@GMAIL.COM. Winner of the prestigious Cushing Left Anterior Descending Artery Award.

Friday, July 03, 2020

JUDGE SHELDON "SHELLY" SCHWARTZ HAS PASSED AWAY .......


We are going to add our thoughts about the passing of Shelly, First, to us he was always "Shelly".  He always had a smile, and he always had an amusing story to share. But above all else, no remembrance of Shelly is complete without mentioning his sartorial splendor. 
The Ties. 
Chartreuse and lime green, with a splash of yellow and purple against an orange or perhaps light pink background. And that would be on a day he was toning it down. He reveled in his ties and it was an insight to the unique, friendly, happy man he was. He was truly a Justice Building original, one of the legends of our profession as an attorney and Judge who spent his time on the bench mentoring young lawyers. He has been missed for sometime in his well deserved retirement. 
Au revoir old friend. We are better for knowing you. 

THE CAPTAIN REPORTS:

SAD NEWS TODAY AS JUDGE SHELDON "SHELLY" SCHWARTZ HAS PASSED AWAY

Judge Schwartz was first elected to the County Court bench in 1996 when he defeated Larry King. He was last elected in 2006 defeating Migna Sanchez Llorens. He retired from the bench in 2012. He became a member of the Florida Bar in 1969 and celebrated 50 years as a bar member this past November. He previously was a law partner with Alvin Entin for more than 20 years.

Judge Schwartz was a real mensch and he never felt more comfortable than when he spent those six years on the bench serving in the "peoples court"; County Court. He was sometimes criticized for taking too much time explaining to un-represented defendants how the law worked and how it would affect them in their decision in court that day. He was proud of the fact that he took the extra time to treat each citizen who came before him with respect and compassion.

He famously apologized on this Blog when he once had a particularly bad day on the bench and he felt bad about it. Here is the link to that Blog post:

http://justicebuilding.blogspot.com/2006/01/honorable-judge-sheldon-schwartz.html

We will miss you Shelly.

Captain Out .......

Captain4Justice@gmail.com


17 comments:

Anonymous said...

He was a good guy who was nice to be with. I loved all of his different colored robes. Now, the Supreme court will not allow anything but, black.

RIP my old friend.

the trialmaster said...

Sad news. Shelly was one of a kind. ALways cheerful, wore colorful outfits as a lawyer. Was always ready to stop and chat in the hallways with all. sympathy to his family.

Anonymous said...

I was a brand new County Court ASA assigned to Branch duty in Hialeah. I had just been sworn in the week before and it would be my very first time being in court all by myself. He was a bit intimidating to be in front of, as he took charge of the courtroom. Ironically enough, I spent most of the morning just sitting there as he offered every defendant a plea right from the bench, irrespective of my input.

Over the years I got to know him and came to respect him. When you’re a young prosecutor and you think that every disorderly intox and driving with a suspended license is a capital murder, it’s good to have someone with perspective overseeing the process.

He understood that especially in the Branch courts, most of these folks are unrepresented, most of them were poor, and most of them were good working people who have either made poor decisions or decided to drive to work because they needed the money but they couldn’t pay the outstanding tickets that were suspending their licenses.

He made the process humane for these folks who were scared. He was fair, he could be funny, and he could be tough when he needed to be, especially on repeat offenders.

Shelley was a good man and he will be missed. Thank you for the kind post about him.

Anonymous said...

What a character he was

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear it - I recall with a smile attending his courtroom at a first year ASA, when he was in North Miami. He really cared about trying to help the young lawyers develop. He was a good teacher.

I had a bench trial in front of him one time with a pro se defendant. The judge didn't like some of the questions I was asking, so he said "objection"! He did it a couple times and I had moved on, finally, I had it and started to argue the objection. He said "I sustain my objection!". I loved it - laughed a little and moved on. He acquitted the guy.

Had a good heart and was a good and fair judge.

Jonathan Blecher said...

Shelly gave me my first job in private practice in 1985 after my stint at the SAO. He defended the state court cases in the firm, so naturally I worked for him primarily. It fun back then. Shelly taught me about the business of criminal defense practice, interviewing new clients, how to earn, ways of dealing with clients and bondsmen, etc.... I learned a lot from him and Alvin Entin. Sent me around the country on cases. We were always close, even got an invitation to Brett's Bar Miztvahpalooza and I'd always get the "treatment" when I appeared before him later in life. And I mean that in a good way. Shelly was a big guy with big heart. I'll miss him. I wish his family peace in this difficult time.

Jonathan Blecher.

Anonymous said...

As a judge, what a character! He always referred to himself in the third person. He also bent over backwards for the private lawyers. Sad to see how pass away. My sympathies to the family especially Brett who is a very nice guy.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear of his passing. He was a lovable character. My sincere condolences to his family.

Anonymous said...

I remember the judge first when he was a defense lawyer and I was a young hard charging police officer. Later as he rose to the bench for whatever reason he remembered me and dressed down defense counsel for some personal attacks at me during cross. Years later after I got through law school and became an ASA in Broward our paths crossed again. He was always a gentleman, I have nothing but kind thoughts of him. RIP.........................SAO5

Anonymous said...

May the Schwartz be with him. RIP old friend.

Anonymous said...

A wonderful man. Just thinking about him makes me smile. What a beautiful legacy.

Anonymous said...

12:37

That's a great story. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I had an interesting interraction with him about 5 years ago. My wife got a ticket and it was scheduled in North Miami. I left the house a little early and my wife told me she would meet me there in her car. The case was called and Schwartz, whom I did not know, started yelling at me because my "client" was not there. I simply explained that she was on her way. He insisted she was lying and was very unprofessional to me. This was all in open court. She finally showed up. Fortunately for me she was a real looker and got dolled up. I approached and told Schwartz my client was here. My wife sheepishly mentioned that she was also my wife as if I were avoiding the issue. Schwartz looked at me with a funny look and told my wife in a rather loud voice, "ma'am, your case is dismissed. Have a nice day." It was a BS traffic ticket but it was his way of admitting he acted wrong. RIP

Deborah White Labora said...

He was a great colleague and friend, he will be missed.

Phil Reizenstein said...

I think the term that best applies and that Shelly Schwartz would appreciate most is that he was a mensch.

Anonymous said...

a kind bloke for sure. remember when I was a young ASA who knew not what he was doing, Shelly never talked down to me like so many defense attorneys did back then

David Troyer said...

Shelly was always kind and always a gentleman, while usually offering a funny story and a piece of candy. He and I were before the late Judge Sidney Shapiro in the 80's, and the two would volley Yiddish terms back and forth in court. One day, Shelly was trying to get Judge Shapiro to lower a plea offer, and explained, "I'm just looking for some 'rachmunis' (pity)." Judge Shapiro laughed, gestured to me and said, "Troyer doesn't understand 'rachmunis.'" With mock indignation, I asked, "Why, because I'm goyim?" Shapiro replied, "No, because you're Troyer." We all laughed, and then Judge Shapiro deadpanned to Shelly, "I have no rachmunis for your client." As always, Shelly took it in stride. RIP.