JUSTICE BUILDING BLOG

WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL RICHARD E GERSTEIN JUSTICE BUILDING BLOG. THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO JUSTICE BUILDING RUMOR, HUMOR, AND A DISCUSSION ABOUT AND BETWEEN THE JUDGES, LAWYERS AND THE DEDICATED SUPPORT STAFF, CLERKS, COURT REPORTERS, AND CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS WHO LABOR IN THE WORLD OF MIAMI'S CRIMINAL JUSTICE. POST YOUR COMMENTS, OR SEND RUMPOLE A PRIVATE EMAIL AT HOWARDROARK21@GMAIL.COM. Winner of the prestigious Cushing Left Anterior Descending Artery Award.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

REGJB REGULAR INDICTED

Sam Konell, a REGJB regular has been indicted for health care fraud. 

Article here. 

Sorry for slow blogging. In trial. 
It's hot here in Phoenix...but not for us...just the AUSAs.

From the DOJ press release:


The indictment alleges that from approximately January 2006 through June 2012, Konell accepted kickbacks in exchange for referring Medicare beneficiaries to Greater Miami Behavioral Healthcare Center, Inc. (Greater Miami) to serve as patients so that Greater Miami could bill Medicare for mental health treatment purportedly provided to those beneficiaries. The indictment further alleges that Konell knew that the beneficiaries he referred to Greater Miami did not need, qualify for nor receive such treatment. In addition, the indictment alleges that Konell and co-conspirators took steps to disguise the true nature of the bribes and kickbacks Greater Miami paid to Konell and other patient brokers.


From occupied America, and on a break in a federal court where WE are fighting the power....fight the power!

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope Xenia wasn't involved but...

Anonymous said...

He sure kept it under the radar. For $63 million he could have bought some nice pants.

Anonymous said...

Never heard of this cat.

Anonymous said...

It's about time. Always knew he was a shady character.

Anonymous said...

What does that say about my many clients who Sam turned down, deciding they were too SANE to receive treatment? lol.

Anonymous said...

Who is taking over for Judge Lindsey, Rumpole?

Anonymous said...

Real shame if allegations are true. I've worked with Sam when trying to get a client placed in a facility. He's a real gentleman and genuinely cares about the mentally ill in the criminal justice system - people who are too often disregarded.

Even if the allegations are true, it doesn't change my opinion of him. Money can tempt even the best among us.

Anonymous said...

He had a really pretty blonde woman who worked with him. When I was a public defender I think I used him a few times. Real nice guy.

Unknown said...

Sam is a good person regardless of what he did and help me so much I owe him my freedom

Unknown said...

He's a very good person and help me so much I owe him my freedom good luck Mr sam

Anonymous said...

Who's representing him?

Anonymous said...

I am not surprised. He was shady as hell and you could smell it a mile away.

Anonymous said...

Actually, if the allegations are true, he's NOT a good person. Rather, he took advantage of the many defendants he pretended to help. Is there anything more sickening than someone who takes advantage of others while pretending to be selfless and morally superior?

Anonymous said...

Whatever happened with the presumption of innocence? You all should be ashamed.

earl rogers said...

I never had any dealings with him but heard some things from people I know in the mental health field (probably explains why I avoided him). He reminded me of Roy Gelber--always talking to somebody in a corner.

Anonymous said...

WTF RUMPOLE -- I check the blog all weekend for updates, comments, etc. NOTHING. Please update more. We love the blog.

Just because you are on vacation is not our problem.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like he should flip. Who's the go to federal snitch lawyer these days?

Anonymous said...

4 days without a Blog? Where are you RUMPOLE? Captain? Kenny W?

Anonymous said...

Call "The Expert"

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised but not at the same time. As someone who worked closely with him he genuinely cared and advocated for his clients. Money can bring out the worst in some of the best people. Clients referred to me by him were genuinely mentally ill. I can only go by my experience working with him. He is egotistical and felt he had some sort of entitlement but I learned a lot from him I observed him in court and looked up to him. This makes me very sad because I wouldn't expect him to do something this drastic. I hope Xenia and Earl are not involved nor do they have to suffer from what Sam has done. This truly saddens me as I saw him as a mentor.

Anonymous said...

I worked closely with him as well. He wasn't the easiest person to work with but his difficultness and persistence was making sure the agency was doing their part. He had his moments where I questioned him do to some egotistical power trips he had every so often but I can't lie and deny I didn't learn from him and he went out of his way to mentor me and Introduced me to highly respected people within the courts. I never expected to hear he would do something to thid extent I wish him well and I hope Xenia and Earl are not involved.

Anonymous said...

Ever pay attention to how Sam dressed? Most expensive wardrobe in building . Was always curious about that

Anonymous said...

This indictment was long overdue. Do you receive social security? was his first question to clients.
The ALF's are in it for the money and should be investigated. Mental health clients are abused and hustled for the social security benefits and Medicaid insurance.

Anonymous said...

Him and Todd Jones had to constantly be reminded that they are not attorneys.

Anonymous said...

He had a contract to admit patients to Westchester and Southern Winds hospital. All paying clients were sent there.
He had a contract for close to $150,000 per year to do that.