Monday, October 05, 2026

...IN OCTOBER

MONDAY NIGHT GET EVEN GAME 

 This is one of those weeks we need a big get even game or it will be back to wine in those cardboard containers and the Five Guys Lettuce Wrap Burger instead of the filet and king crab.  

Saints - 1.5. The o/u is a tough 48.5 as we saw when our 49ers over pick just fell short.  48.5 requires a combined 7 TDs and that's above average. Better we like our combo of over 220 passing yards for each of the QBs 

Also over 6.5 Yanks at Rays. We like the Yanks but we don't want to lay the 1.5 runs, but other than the first game against the Rays when they were shut down 1-0, they are pretty reliable in hitting the over. 


Well, here it is! What legal nerds the world over wait for. 

The First Monday in October, when the US Supreme Court (motto: "Trump does what he wants and who are we to stop him?") meets for the new session, and county and circuit judges throughout Florida dream their DeSantis Drone dreams: "If I just deny all the defense motions and tell counsel that it's up to the legislature to change the law, I'm sure to catch the eye of the governor and president..."*sigh*

Not gonna mess with you know who

Do you ever wonder why jurists who believe in originalism use computers to do research and write their opinions? If originalism is the right way to interpret the Constitution, then why isn't it the right way to live their lives?

The article is behind a paywall, but Justice Alito has a piece in the Wall Street Journal about originalism, which is sort of weird because the framers didn't read the WSJ. Other than that glaring inconsistency, the article is worth a read- especially if you're having trouble sleeping if all your football picks bombed this weekend like ours did. 

Anyway, new week and new Supreme Court term. Enjoy. 

18 comments:

  1. Rumpole and Readers: which South Florida lawyers or now Judges were Law Clerks at the Supreme Court?

    I can think of a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson. She clerked for Justice Stephen Breyer.

      Delete
  2. Alex Michaels for sure in the 1990-91 term.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex Micheals was and still is a God!

      Delete
    2. I am Alex Micheals’ protégé

      Delete
  3. I think Sy in 59-60 for the Warren Court. And didn’t Postman clerk for his hero Whizzer White ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did anyone leave the Survivor pool this past weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say we return to the pre-computer era of lawyering. Making house visits, riding around in carriages, and such. Would probably be a lot less stressed and burned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A thought pondered my mind-- how did they practice law in Caveman Era? I wonder if its anything like in the Flintstones where everything was chiseled in a stone tablet?

      Delete
  6. Dean Colson from Colson & Hicks clerked for the Chief Justice at the same time that John Roberts did.

    I think Manny Kadre, the brilliant billionaire politico, also clerked for one of the Justices after clerking for Fred Moreno.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rumpole-- inquiring minds would like to know--- who will win the Superbowl? What are your predictions of what two teams will be in the final showdown? I need to start planning my Sueprbowl Party now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I had the Bengals going. That fell flat. The raiders look like they’d have a better chance. So Bills - 49ers and once again Bills get their hearts broken. 49ers have best coach in the league. And you know how many times their QB Brock Purdy has been sacked this season ? As many times as a Hialeah judge is on time for court. ZERO. O line wins championships. Ask the Eagles.

      Delete
    2. Rump what happened to your blog retirement

      Delete
  8. Who does the hiring at the U.S. attorney’s office 🤢🤮

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I just heard they hired a former “win at all cost” ASA. Is it fair to say Trump knows how to pick them.

      Delete
  9. Judge Jordan Clerked for Sandra Day O'Connor

    ReplyDelete